some pitfalls of the thrift store shopper

You know you are buying mindlessly if you:
  • Buy on a whim.
  • Buy to impress others.
  • Buy because you feel you deserve it.
  • Buy when you can’t afford it.
  • Buy just to update something that still works or looks fine.
  • Buy because someone else has it and you want it too.
  • Buy because the advertisement seduced you.
  • Buy because you are bored.
  • It’s purchased because buying soothes you.
This is only a small part of an article about simplicity that I found here.   Lover of thrift store shopping that I am, I frequently find myself "camped" on the fine line that separates buying mindlessly from buying wisely!  Buying on a whim and buying because I'm bored (above) are particularly traps for me.  I could add, "buying because the price is too good to pass up". 

I showed SOME restraint last week when I purchased the book and pot above!  There were tons of "wonderful stuff" at the barn sale I passed on the way home from the lake but for $1.25, this is what I brought through my front door.

8 comments:

  1. Rebecca, Gladys Taber is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE authors. That you got her Stillmeadow Daybook so cheaply is nothing short of miraculous. She has (still) a tremendous following. Once I even belonged to a fan club of sorts for Gladys and met a penpal. We have been writing to each other for more than a decade! Someday we hope to meet in person. You really, really got a find with that book. Have you read her other books? True food for the soul! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh gals, I LOVE Gladys Taber. I have a whole shelf of her books but have not looked at them for long while. I used to reread one of her books every winter, but I just haven't got to it lately. Maybe I will have to get on that. In fact, I just looked and I have 17 but not a copy of your new find, Rebecca. Is this your first book or are you a regular reader of GT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds, Rebecca! I never heard of Gladys Taber so I had to google her. Do you think they carry her books at the library?

    have a greta week, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan and Bookie, I read 3 or 4 chapters last night and chuckled and relaxed while enjoying here simple, descriptive style.

    Bonnie, I'm sure you can get hold of her books via the library - whether on the shelves or by special order....They are SO enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The GT book is a find for sure. I've been trying to stay out of shops, thrift or otherwise. I do have a gift card for Chico's that I need to use tho. I'll try to keep my "spending" to the amount of the card.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Bonnie I had to Google Gladys Tabler. I shall be keeping a llokout for her work now.
    Those tips are wonderful and I've bookmarked the link to investigate further.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pot will be very striking, maybe one day filled with red geraniums and a few vinca vines? Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, this is Jeff D Marsh with Online Store Maintenance, Online Shopping Store Maintenance, Catalog Processing India, Online Store Web Design, Online Store Marketing, Online Store Maintenance company, Outsource Online Store Maintenance, Online Store Web Design companies, Yahoo Store Designer, eBay Store Designer, Yahoo! Store Design company, online store maintenance services, eBay Store Maintenance, Yahoo Store Maintenance, Uk, USA, Australia, Canada
    To have better idea about the same just click on the link given hereby at
    http://internetadvertising-marketing.com/online_store_maintenance.html
    I like your information it is helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete

Hope to return your visit soon! Thanks for leaving a message...