free and just-about-free

On the way to North Carolina, we found a curbside teeming with stuff.  A large cardboard box held zillions of plastic Easter eggs--mostly disassembled!  I missed quite a bit of scenery as I matched them up.  In addition to what you see here, there is one more bag.  I also rescued two plastic pails and two plastic plates with bunny motifs.
 There are more clothespins in this bag than it appears.
I believe I found them in Tennessee.
I may sort them and display them in jars.
We stopped in Cincinnati at a good-sized thrift store.  I bought the wooden bowl for $1.  We'd seen some "fancier" ones in North Carolina produced on a lathe out of various woods.  The tiniest one was priced at $20.  The largest, $200.  Bowls this size were between $45 and $90. 
The little stuffed kitty kat was found hiding among glass wares. 
I couldn't resist.  It will be a gift to my cat-loving friend.
This is a book I wrote 24 years ago.  I've never run across it in a thrift store before.
I bought it because I think I've only set two copies back.  I was pretty excited to find it in North Carolina.
(After my husband repairs the child's chair we found curbside
and I reupholster the $1 footstool, I'll feature those in a future post.)

17 comments:

  1. You found marvelous treasures, Becky!!
    How amazing that you've written a book!! It looks very interesting...neat that you've found an extra copy...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did find treasures! Love the idea of filling jars with the clothespins. I keep hoping I run across some old buttons for the same idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thank you for the comments on my blog. I always appreciate your input!

    Now, you got some great things on this trip. I think the clothes pins are so interesting. Think of the kids now that have no idea how they work or what they are for having never used them. Somehow they are a methaphor...we used to pin together our lives and hang tight...now we just tumble everything together all at once!

    You wrote a book!I didn't know...will be looking for it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookie, It's SO out of print. It was/is a women's Bible study book - with a lot of blanks to fill in after a couple of pages of explanation in each of the 10 chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca Your curbside treasures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wrote a book? I'd love to read it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a fabulous weekend you had with lots of great deals!! And WOW is that your book how cool is that???? Hmmmmm I will have to keep my eye out for this one when I go out looking for used books I would love to see it :) Have a wonderful day!! ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to come across a copy of your own book! Many excellent finds, but i especially admire the clothespins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great thrifts but... you wrote a book? How come I didn't know that? I'll bet it is great too.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you go to Valley Thrift in Cincinnati? That's one of my favs there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my GOODNESS, Rebecca. Imagine finding your own book! That was exciting. All your treasures were really great. You did well! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi my dear-how awesome to find your book like that!! Lovely finds too, those eggs look lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kimberly collects wooden bowls....they can really be beautiful.
    I recently bought an old blue-greenish suit-case for a dollar that was CLEAN inside....and a smaller something? a suitcase? it looks like it should hold an old record player for a child. The thrift store people wrote the price RIGHT ON THE FRONT OF IT with magic marker. I'm really going to have to think about how to hide it because it is NOT washing off. I might glue an old button on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrs. Mo,
    Why DO they DO that? (Write prices on things with indelible marker.) I'll look forward to seeing how you deal with that! I'll "hop" over to your blog to see if you've posted pictures yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's pretty cool that you found your own book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those clothes pins..oh my goodness, I love them..I look forward to reading more about the book you wrote...Awesome scores you found...yahooooooooo for free and almost free prices..those are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love, LOVE the fact that you found a copy of the book you wrote !! How wonderful. We don't have very good thrift stores down here in my neck of the woods but I sure do love them anyway. And when I find a big one in a larger city, well, I just go crazy shopping!! LOL

    I don't know if I've commented before but I read and enjoy your blog often!

    Marilyn...in Mississippi

    ReplyDelete

Hope to return your visit soon! Thanks for leaving a message...