diamond in the rough

Call me what you want -
cheap, frugal, stubborn -
I have wanted a stereo for a long, LONG time.
Never has the price been right until THIS one.
"Free" the sign read on Saturday morning
(the last hours of a garage sale in a neighboring small town).
The gentleman even helped us load it.
He said he'd purchased it with his first paycheck in 1968
from a Murphy's store in Kentucky.
He said it had worked the last time he tried it but made no guarantees.
We plugged it in as soon as we got home
Sure enough!  It works.  Only a little bit of hesitation in the loud/soft control.
A friend of ours is coming over to fix it on Wednesday.
My husband mended the hinged top
and now I'm trying to decide on what color to paint it.
I'm thrilled with this diamond in the rough.
The first record album we played was an old Glen Campbell one I had
in a stack of records I've been saving for this day.

5 comments:

  1. ...and everything old is new again! Except for me, I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! Anxious to see the diamond. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's got it painted (black,except for the legs which we've kept their natural wood color). I'll post it soon. We're waiting on our friend to be able to tweak the loud/soft and speaker functions. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great find! That's exactly the kind of stereo we had when I was growing up. And apparently as a young child, my favorite record and song was Tom Jones, What's New Pussycat. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hope to return your visit soon! Thanks for leaving a message...