candle, candle, burning bright...

It's hard for me to pass up candles when I see them in thrift stores or garage sales--
especially when they're a quarter for a bag of 'em!
These are my latest acquisitions.
It's not like I actually NEED any more...
One entire side of a large wardrobe in our living room
 is devoted to candles
(many of the red - for Christmas).
Most recently I lit candles Saturday night and Sunday noon 
as I hosted a couple of dinners.
Sunday evening, l-o-n-g after guests had left,
I was straightening the dining area and noticed that one candle was still burning!
I had completely forgotten to blow it out when I extinguished the other two in the room.
Relaxing later, I decided to remind myself of some basic candle safety tips such as:
  • Always keep a burning candle within sight. 
  • Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.
  • Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Don't place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
  • Read and carefully follow all manufacturer instructions.
  • Trim candlewicks to 1/4 inch each time before burning.
  • Always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use. The holder should be heat resistant, sturdy and large enough to contain any drips or melted wax. Be sure the candleholder is placed on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
  • Keep burning candles away from drafts, vents and air currents.
  • Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris.
  • Don't burn a candle for longer than the manufacturer recommends.
  • Extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the holder or container.  (2" of wax or 1/2" if in a container).
  • Don't touch or move a votive or container candle when the wax is liquid.
  • Extinguish pillar candles if the wax pool approaches the outer edge.
  • Candles should be placed at least three inches apart from one another. (So they don't melt one another or create their own drafts causing them to burn improperly.
  • Use a candle snuffer or hold your index finger in front of the flame and blow at it. Air will flow around your finger, extinguish the candle from both sides, and prevent hot wax from splattering.
  • Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are much safer light sources than candles during a power failure.
  • Don't use a candle for light when fueling equipment such as a lantern or kerosene heater.
  • Install a smoke detector in every room where candles are burned.
I do plan to keep on enjoying candles--safely!
I've even started a
Candle/Candlestick category in my Pinterest space.
 Have YOU had any close calls with candle-burning?
 Any additional tips to help us all be safe?


  1. Hi Rebecca....I've done that, too.....left a stray candle burning. It's downright scary.

    Wow, you DO collect candles. I'd like to have a lot of spare ones.

    Hope you have a nice holiday tomorrow. I'm recuperating from my marathon weekend! Whew!


  2. You have more candles than Wal*Mart ;)

    My best friend's mother lit a candle in the bathroom, when she was getting ready for church, and forgot to blow it out when she left. It started a fire that did a lot of damage to the house. A neighbor saw the house on fire, and called the fire department, but she had to live elsewhere until the house was repaired. She was an older widow at the time. It could have been tragic if she was at home when it happened.

    Love the shape of the blue and the white candles. I use that kind in holders with "hurricane" chimneys.


    1. Hahaha (or maybe not) - more than Wal*Mart! You're just about right. Those kind of stories are what make me want to be very, very careful....

      No one intentionally forgets; so I really need to be more conscientious!

  3. Great tips. I like candles, but don't light them too often.


Hope to return your visit soon! Thanks for leaving a message...